8.03.2006

People get me... after a while :)

So last night I had a great conversation with quite possibly the most loyal person I know in our church. We talked about how that bond has been forged. He said to me "Tally, I know that some of the things we went through you could have avoided but to be honest, if you did... I wouldn't have followed you. The reason I follow you is because you stand up when opposition comes. You're trying to reach people for Jesus and you don't apologize for it."

I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Luke 5:32


Jesus didn't come to call a bunch of people who already had their act together. I'm more and more convinced that a lot of church planters don't really want to reach people with the gospel. What they want instead is to get a bunch of Christians in a room and have a Kumbaya moment. I'm not into that. Not if I'm calling what I'm doing 'reaching the lost'.

I'm about reaching people with the gospel. All my life I've searched for the one thing I could be about that matters more than anything else. This is it. Creating a refuge for people to come out of the storm and hear that the creator of it all wants to meet them. For some people our church isn't the final destination. If we have to be a bus stop for some people... fine. I'm cool with that because in the middle of the storm, they will receive love, encouragement and possibly a cup of coffee as they board their next bus in life. But as long as I am able I plan to create a place for 'sinners' to meet Jesus and the self-righteous can either join me or get out of the way.

It's awesome to hear this man's words. He gets it. Others get it. The two who accepted Christ as Savior on Sunday get it. I love it. It's good to know that people get me... after a while. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way! Those words will always be true.

You could have chosen to make a refuge for traveling christians, do a lot of "glad-handing", and had a comfortable road ahead.

You've chosen the harder path, and thereby keeping the "Great", in "Great Commission". Frankly; you understand that like any true wealth planning, in the end, it only matters what you "Save".

For all those pastor adding numbers to your bank account, see my Pastor Tally, who chose to listen to God, and be a willing vessel in adding numbers to God's kingdom.

Heaven will reveal the real outcome, and with the treasure you're storing in heaven --- many will be happy just to live in your general neighborhood.

So stick to your guns buddy, and for those who would judge you based on your current ministry, just make them aware that there is a score card --- but you have to look up to see it!

-CA