7.06.2006

Nice Break

This post is more of an update as to our recent activity. I'll get back to some church blogging shortly.


This weekend I went to my cousin's wedding. It was located about 6 hours away in Sherman's Dale, PA. The wedding was beautiful and they both said 'I do'.

I was the best man so the groomsman and I did the whole "Who has the ring?" bit and that was nice.

Tim's wife is a twin so her sister and her are pretty tight. What was funny was when Ang. (Kim's sister) took Kim's flowers, she gave Kim a 'pound' which is basically a fist bump. It was so funny.

After the many pictures we jumped into the Limo for the 25 minute ride to the reception. Lots of laughs. Ang and I gave our speeches right at the front end of the reception (which I hadn't heard of but the DJ had). They went over very well.

Ang talked about the fact that she didn't want to lose her sister but if she had to give her away, she's glad it's with Tim.

I started off describing all of the attributes Tim wanted in a partner and then I said "But Tim, I'm already married." That got a nice laugh. I then moved into talking about how Kim possessed every one of them and that her family is blessed to have Tim by Kim's side for the rest of their lives.

Then the eatin' and dancin' got underway.

One hilarious part of the wedding was the cake cutting. Tim and Kim had made a deal not to 'get each other' with the cake. Tim said "Okay... but if you do, no one will be able to eat the cake b/c I'll be forced to get you back big time." So when they cut the cake and Kim (under pressure from friends I'm sure) got Tim messy, Tim reached back into the cake with his hand and took a huge chunk right out of the side. He then grabbed Kim and gave it to her. It was the most cake I had ever seen exchanged at a wedding. Tim then licked some off of Kim's face. Hilarious.

Okay... so that was the wedding.

..::GETTYSBURG::..
On July 3 we made our way to Gettysburg, PA which is home to the famous Battle of Gettysburg and the site of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address. What was so cool about this is that the battle of Gettysburg lasted 3 days and was concluded on July 3, 1863. It was awesome to be at the spot where all of this history took place on the exact day some 143 years before. Apparently upwards of 51,000 lives were lost on the fields of Gettysburg during those 3 days of fighting.

We went to a 30 minute light show which explains the battle over the 3 days complete with troop movements and back stories on different troops. If you enjoy history you will love this place. I'm already trying to think about how to get back up there.

..:: WASHINGTON,D.C.::..

On our way back home from PA I found out that some friends from Texas were in D.C. for the 4th of July and their plane had just landed. Among my friends were Billy Clyburn who is the Music Man at 1st Family Church in Corpus Christi, TX. This was the first church I worked at out of college. Billy is a great guy. Traveling with him is Marty Johnson. Marty moved to Corpus just as I moved away but he was an encouragement to me when we started Focal Point. Marty is a retired Doctor who is heavily involved in Politics and Business. He started a HUGE network for Doctors in Portland,OR and just a few years ago started a chapter of the World Affairs Counsel in Corpus Christi, TX.

I called these guys and asked if they were up for a bite to eat as Kristy and I were just 30 minutes north and we had to pass D.C. anyway.

We grabbed some food in Union Station and had a good time connecting. They got to see my son and I got to see Billy's 12 year old "Hank" as well as a former student traveling with them, Cody Baker. Cody is now headed into his Senior year. I knew him when he was practically a 6th grader.

We ended up getting home from our trip close to midnight on the 3rd. We had a good time and enjoyed our little get-away.

No comments: