1.12.2006

"More like Heaven and less like your Mirror"

The above line is what I'm using to describe my "DiverseCity Project" at Focal Point for 2006.


I'm convinced that God is calling us to be an intentionally multi-cultural church.

Our denomination has traditionally done a terrible job at reaching a diverse audience. Truth be known, how our denomination started was actually over some issues of race that I'd never be proud of.

I've observed that this problem isn't completely unique to us. I have however seen that many Pentecostal churches tend to do a great job at reach across cultural and racial lines. I was asked today by a denominational leader why this was so. He said "Do you think it's primarily theological?" I said "No. I believe it has to do with the expressive nature of many cultures and the typical quiet nature of our churches. We have a history of being cold and silent. People in most cultures couldn't dare keep silent while reflecting on all that God has done for them."

I hope to see our church continue to become more and more diverse. We're already pretty diverse but I'm convinced that this is part of my spiritual genetic make-up and it completely fits the context to which I am called.


So, tell me. THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE IN MULTI-CULTURAL ENVIRONMENTS.... What is your take on why some places 'got it' and some places don't. Do you believe I'm close or way off base. Again, I really only want replies from people who are smokin' what they're sellin'. If you go to a church where 95% of the people look like you, please write your opinion on a napkin and wipe your nose :) Just Kidding.

I'm seriously trying to learn more so if you have friends in the ministry who would be able to help me, please have them contact me or stop by the blog. Thanks!

No comments: