1.11.2006

1 is the Loneliest Number



Okay, so I'm coaching a 2nd-3rd grade basketball team. Today was the parent's meeting. It was cool. During the meeting we gave out jerseys. Because it was in a gym and wasn't as formal, I chose to let the kids pick their own numbers.

After all of the uniforms were taken I knew I had one jersey left because I had not seen one of my kids. To my surprise I looked down and picked up the shirt... guess which number was on the shirt... 1! Yes. O-N-E.

I thought "I guess kids haven't developed an arrogant streak by the age of 8." I know all through middle and high school the most arrogant (and usually the best) player picked the number 1. It's basically a big target on your back. "I'm confident enough in myself that I want to be 1st."

When I was in 9th grade a little saying was going around. After a good play guys would smack their own chest and say "look at me now" as they ran up the court.

I thought about Christ and why many in the world have a problem with him. He is the only one who can be arrogant. Actually it's not arrogance for Him to say "Look at me now". He is the supreme. He is the top. In fact he even wore the number 1. "I am THE way, THE truth and THE life" John 14:6

Most other religions are pluralistic in nature and the world wants Christ to wear a 4 or 5 on his back but he chooses the 1. I'm glad I worship the God who is glad to pick up that jersey.

No comments: