12.17.2005

I hate...

Legalism. I hate legalism.

Where are redemption, grace, mercy, love, compassion, forgiveness, hope, abundant life, peace and passion?

Will I have to scream liberalism to avoid those put off by legalism so I will then have a voice to protest liberalism as well?

It appears to me that legalism binds the heart. Legalism destroys the shackles of bondage to the sinful nature but ducktapes the believer from head to toe and pokes holes for nostrils and the mouth.

When people are faced with the shackles and consequence of sin along side the other option of ducktaped 'freedom' they will choose the shackles every time. If by some chance a person passes on both the shackles and ducktape, they still live lives curled up in the prison cell called 'church' and do not exercise the muscles that God himself has given. We end up with a very weak and tired version of Christianity that does not in it's purest form come close to representing Christ.

I hate legalism. It's liberalism's twin with a disguise. Why does the church protest one so loudly while silently embracing the other. They both bind. Neither bring the abundant life of Jesus Christ.

No comments: