12.16.2005

Touching Jesus

I want to share this story with you of what God did this week:

Background Info:
We've been trying to get out of our office space for 2-3 months. It costs us almost $1000/mo and is under-utilized.

I purchased a car last week and unfortunately had to take it into the shop early this week. The cost was an estimated $700 for repairs.


Now lets fast forward to Wednesday.

Earlier this week I met with a state denominational leader about Focal Point's need to re-launch well. He offered support and among other things asked me to speak with our 'sponsoring' church's Pastor to express some concerns I had raised. The sponsoring church Pastor and I haven't had a terrific relationship since I left his staff. I've always felt that our initial launch was hastily done without the financial backing necessary to ensure a successful beginning. There have been some hurt feelings on both sides. This conversation wouldn't be comfortable but was necessary.

During this meeting we got past the trivial niceties and moved to serious conversation. We both expressed our difficulty with one another in the past and began to bury the hatchet with some old wounds. He felt like I was a little pushy and arrogant when I left and I felt like he wasn't very supportive. We both apologized and specifically shared ways we're going to improve this relationship.

It was a Godly meeting with two Pastors who love and respect one another. We got brutally honest and made amends all within an hour.When I left the office and headed for my car I felt a huge relief over the conversation that just took place. I believe we will work more effectively with one another in the future and definitely be 'there' for each other much more in the months and years to come.

During the meeting I had received two calls which I ignored. As I got to my car and went ahead and checked my voicemail.

Message number 1:
"Tally this is Amy from the office. Listen, that company that we showed your space to a few weeks ago has now decided to take your space. Congratulations. Give me a call and we'll work out the details."

Message number 2:
"Tally this is Tina from Nissan. We've cleaned the coils and you don't need any repair work after all. I won't have to give you a loaner car. You can come pick up your car today!"

WOW!
These two issues were burdens that I carried going into my meeting. When I humbled myself and sought out the Savior in the situation with my fellow man, God (in a way only he can) reached down into my life and removed my two largest immediate burdens [within 10 minutes of each other].

This yet again reminds me of the value of honoring God. When he tells us to make things right with our brother, HE MEANS IT!

I emplore you, no matter the issue or the person... when you know that you're not right with a Christian brother or sister... take the steps to have the tough conversations.

Remain humble.
Listen without taking things personally.
And forgive in excess.


God will grant you inward peace for obedience but he may, just may, grant you peace from other situations that have nothing to do with the issues at hand.

I told a friend the other day "Today is a day when I feel like I can reach out and touch Jesus."

2 comments:

Tadd Grandstaff said...

Tally that's awesome man...I know when we talked you shared some of issues...I am glad to hear that have been buried....I hope things continue to go well....keep me posted on that relaunch....I got some big meetings over the holidays about some things I discussed with you...I will give you a call maybe after the holidays if thats cool!

Mark said...

Great post, great testimony of God's grace.

Thanks for sharing.

Probably an oft overlooked principle and command ("Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. Matt 5:23,24), but one where Jesus once again takes us to a whole 'nother level.