9.13.2005

Honest Question

Over at the Missional Baptist Blog I posed a question and so I pose it again here:

The discussion is about Mark Driscoll's book Radical Reformation and his view that we're called to redeem culture in all forms (music, arts, etc.).

Tim Challies is walking through a review on his blog and he asks the following:

The only area in which I found myself in potential disagreement with Driscoll is in his discussion of redeeming culture. I suppose I am not so sure that God has asked us to redeem culture. God's primary interest is, of course, in people. This is something I know Driscoll would affirm. But Driscoll would suggest that we are also to focus on the redemption of music, film, and every other area of culture. I am not so sure. I guess the trouble is that I do not see the biblical mandate for the redemption of culture. Neither does Driscoll provide satisfactory biblical proof. So this is an area to which I will have to dedicate further time and reflection.

So here's my question to you.

Would the redemption of culture not be a byproduct of the redemption of souls within that culture?

If answered in the affirmative are we talking mutually exclusive terms?


2 comments:

tonymyles said...

To borrow a thought from The Merchants Of Cool, it's on a loop. Culture feeds into people; people feed into culture. Redeem one and the other will be seeded on some level.

Anonymous said...

I think the idea is to redeem the culture in order to reach the souls. At least that's the way I see it. I don't think the idea is to truly redeem the culture, per se, but to use it as a vehicle to reach the lost. Kind of like the apostle Paul saying he became all things to all people for the benefit of Christ. That's my thought.