8.08.2005

I was kicked out of church

Sunday morning I went to set up (we're a portable church) at 8:30 a.m.
I helped unload the trailer into the building and once I did that I heard a voice say "Tally, can you go somewhere until we're about to get started?" I was shocked. What? Go somewhere? Doesn't everyone know that I'm the founding Pastor? If I go somewhere that would mean I can't fix all of the little problems that are sure to come up. I mean, I've been here from the beginning, I'm sure to know every little quirk and detail that could go wrong.

I said "Sure, I guess I could go home, it's just a few blocks away." The voice said "Okay, we have it covered. Go home and be fresh." I said "Calvin, I appreciate the gesture but I don't want a few people doing all the work... the same few people who do it each week." He replied "It's okay, it will make a point for everyone. I'd like you to go home and rest up."

So, I did. It felt... dirty. (for about a minute, then I loved it)

So, I came home, grabbed a bowl of cereal, changed my baby's diaper and read my bible while my wife got ready. I was refreshed by the time I got back to the building for worship.

And you know what else? I noticed things. I was able to see how our we put up the outdoor signage (which I never usually see). I was able to see where we desperately need greeters. I was able to see that some of our regulars park too close to the building and don't leave as much room for our guests.

I would not have been able to see these things or be that relaxed if it weren't for someone saying "Go home."

Pastors: Go home. Do what it takes to teach your people about 'picking up the needle'.
Church Members: Be the one that tells the Pastor to take a break. You may not realize it but he's going to be 50 times better if he does what he's called to do and is not distracted by what everyone else can do.

I'm not advocating a Pastor that's ignorant and never seems to pitch in. I'm advocating a church body being built where everyone does a little that comes together to be a lot.

2 comments:

Steve McCoy said...

I was an assc pastor in CO at a newer church and I did the same thing. I told my pastor he was no longer welcome to set up with us and should spend the morning with his kids and wife. He did, and really enjoyed the time and the fact that others were doing what they could do.

Anonymous said...

Brother Tally,

Praise God for your ministry and for your church! I don't know if you will rember the time we met for coffee when you guys were starting out (I was finishing seminary at Regent) and we spoke and prayed about your need for a worship pastor.

I continued to pray for you and your church. My family and I have since lived in another country helping young churches learn the biblical value of worship as well as praise and worship and now we are seeking the Lord about helping a church plant in AL.

The ministry of rest is so powerful and I am thankful that God has placed strong leaders around you and your family!!!

God's richest blessings to you and your church family for His Kingdom...

Sincerely in Christ,
Rob Springer
Proverbs 21:21
www.robspringer.com