8.10.2005

God Sightings

Last night our church held a pure-worship night. We thinned out the band, no teaching time, no lights or video. What we did have were chairs, two speakers on the floor and a table where we put communion supplies.

It was awesome!

Effectively what we did was sing some worship songs, read scripture, share testimonies, pray, and take communion. We had a general outline of a schedule (but it was scrapped about halfway through) and that was it.

One woman stood up and shared how she was visiting with a friend a few months ago when I was doing a 'Desperate Household' series. She said "When you got up and started talking about divorce I thought "thank you Lord... you'll tell me how to get out of my marriage" but then you talked for about 25 minutes on commitment and the covenant we make before God and at the end you only gave about 5 minutes to biblical grounds for divorce." She continued "I knew in my heart before that service that I was done... I was planning to leave my husband." She said "But the Lord spoke through that message, I still remember it, and he told me that I made a vow before Him and I have no right to break it. It's hard but my husband and I are now working things out. He's been very ill lately but God has restored our relationship."

Wow!

People talked about all sorts of testimonies. Some shared struggles and asked for prayer, others shared victories in their life and others simply read favorite scripture. I loved it! I told everyone last night before we took communion (after the testimonies) that often as Pastors we walk into a room figuring we'll help people but when we walk out we realize just how much God used other people to help us. Last night was a night when I was caught up in God's grace and love because of hearing what he's doing among his people.

My encouragement:
Stop and think through your God-story. Not just your testimony from 5 years ago that you keep telling people about... I'm talking about your testimony from today, yesterday, this week, right now. God is there... just focus on Him and give him credit.

Pastors:
Please do this with your people. You WILL have a lower turnout when you explain what you're doing. That's okay. This exercize is not a huge draw for those who are "busy" but it is a powerful experience for anyone willing to come. You will solidify your core (no matter how big your church is) and you will help your people to see God's hand in your church.

No comments: