3.16.2005

Go to church or... die?

I read of a new study linking faith with long life. (per ChurchMarketingSucks.com)

From the findings:
"There's something involved in the act of religious attendance, whether it's the group interaction, the worldview or just the exercise to get out of the house. There's something that seems to be beneficial," said University of Iowa psychology professor Susan Lutgendorf, who carried out the study.

From the bible:
"My son, do not forget My law, but let your heart keep My commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you." (Proverbs 3:1)

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you." (Exodus 20:12)

From my head:
I know of saints that have lived a very long time. Our generation is blessed with three men who recently have been having health problems but by all accounts have had long and productive lives serving God by preaching Christ. (Dr. Billy Graham, Dr. Falwell, and Pope John Paul II)

I also know of wonderful Christian people who have had shorter lives than I. A friend I met on a mission trip when I was 17 died in a car accident after my first year of college. By all accounts this young woman was a saint. She was the type of person that made me want to become a better Christian.

Many times we look at the length of life as being the main point. We run from the aging process and we hold out all hope for immortality. Many Christians want Christ to return quickly not because of His will being done but because they are afraid to die. Isn't the point of our faith to value the Kingdom of Heaven over this life?

I'm not talking being irrational or belittling life. I'm talking about valuing the life to come as the end all. I'm talking about having a sincere belief that this world is not our home and that we have an eternal relationship with Jesus Christ that awaits. I'm talking about valuing that which we claim to hold most-high. When we value years of life as the end-all we miss out on the meaning behind those years. We begin to see short-sided and our daily decisions reflect that mentality. Our daily lives become consumed with "You only live once" attitudes that revert to self-centeredness or self-pity. This is not a Christian world-view. Unfortunately however, so many people who profess Christ believe and live this way.

More bible thoughts:
Jesus said this right after rebuking Peter upon his arrest " 34Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels.”--Mark 8: 34-38

Conclusion:
This life and this world are wonderful gifts. We are to enjoy them, find satisfaction and joy in God's creation but always with the reverence and awe to the God who created it. When we begin worshiping the created we lose sight of the creator.

No comments: