3.17.2005

Yellow Bracelets?

This evening we had our teens on a "Destination Unknown". It's an activity I do with them (we're a church plant and I work with the youth as well for now) each 3rd Thursday. We don't tell the teens where they are going. They bring $7 and a friend (most times). Past experiences have been bowling, putt-putt, laser tag, etc.
Today I decided to do something different. I decided that we needed to show the teens that there are ways to serve others and have a great time doing it. Why does it seem that sacrafice is always boring, dull and negative? SO... we had a "Hunt and Help".

The kids had a video scavenger hunt where they did crazy things like act like a chicken and cluck with wings flapping as they walked through Kentucky Friend Chicken (the managers didn't find it amusing) and have the workers at the YMCA sing the YMCA song (managers didn't like that idea either) and have a cashier sing a song (Farm Fresh has great employees).

The teams were competing for this... the opportunity to donate the student's money to charity. They were allowed to spend money on their activities (some things they had to buy such as Toilet Paper and soda (don't ask). In all the kids put together just under $70 which the winning team chose to donate to fighting Breast Cancer.

It was great to see our kids laugh at themselves, meet people randomly and give their cash away to a good charity. Instead of giving to a game of putt-putt, the kids gave to an organization trying to save lives. I hope to build on this activity in future talks and experiences shared with these teens.
----

On another note, I was sick today. Sneezing like crazy and cleaning up my nose all day. (I'm going to ask God why he invented snot) I'm not a good sick person. I get cranky and tired and whinny around my wife. I don't like being sick. I worked through it today and obviously tonight. Most people wouldn't bother to classify what I've been as even being 'sick'. Kristy and I have been together 7 years as of Tuesday (yes I remembered and sent flowers). She has only seen me sick twice. Once was the first week she moved to Virginia (in our first year of dating) and the other was a short time in Texas about 3-4 years ago. I'm always healthy. A little sickness is good b/c it reminds me of health and to be thankful for God's blessings no matter how big or small I may view them. Every blessing from God is unmerited Grace and favor.

I'm done. Have a great night.

No comments: