1.11.2005

Change

I'm currently reading a book called "Future Shock" as recommended by good friend John Smith. I have been impressed with how well Alvin Toffler has forecasted the future and the rate of change which we see today. (This book was written in 1970.)
“When the rate of change outside exceeds the rate of change inside, the end of the organization is in sight.” – Jack Welch, former CEO, General Electric

I'm finding more and more that this is the case in every part of society. With our rapidly changing world we are forced to lead, follow or get left behind. I've chosen to lead. To lead, I must not only adapt when necessary but I must also attempt to stay ahead of the needed changes. This year (2005) will have many changes in my life. Our church will complete our first year, we'll likely add staff, my wife and I are having a child, my sister and my wife's sister are getting married [to different people], on and on we go...(I'm sparing you the details)
The point is this. I must change. We must change. I desire to be equipped not only to 'deal with' changes that are coming (like it or not), I desire to be equipped to lead in each of these areas of life. We basically have three options as I see it in life. We can float through life trying not to 'get involved'. We can resist changes that come and complain about why we don't like them or... We can anticipate, embrace and lead in the midst of life changes.
So in 2005 don't make resolutions. Make changes.
For comment and thought:
Understanding the power of change, can we logically ask the following...
"When the rate of change within a person exceeds the rate of change in their social network, the end of that network is in sight."

No comments: