1.12.2005

Alone

Today's 'My Utmost' can shake us up and knock us off of our proverbial pedestals. Alone with God... How many people actually think about that? I know what I'm saying is nothing new and I'm okay with it... b/c I need reminded of this on a near-daily basis.

We talk about 'church' and 'marketing' and 'leadership' and all of these important things that come from our 'desire to see people know God' but how often do we seriously ponder God and ourselves?

Over the last several years I've been asked about 'discipleship' and 'assimilation' and 'growing our people'. My answer has consistently been that when you can focus on showing a person who God is and then turn the lens around to show them who they are, humility is immenent. Most people don't need to know much more about themselves. They tend to be ready to admit that they've blown it a few times but people do need to know who God is. People do need to ponder knowledge itself as an attribute of God's glory. We all need a good dose of 'whoa' or awe. We shouldn't wait for a retreat, camp, or conference to somehow "remind us" of our Heavenly Father and his attributes. Spiritual Crack-addicts we are not.

I encourage you today... ponder God. Do the very thing that feels unnatural and downright scary... think about eternity. Don't allow your mind to turn to mush talking about policies, procedures and protocol... Allow it to be transformed by the renewing the Holy Spirit brings to us when we meditate on things of God.

No comments: