4.13.2009

Start with the Address


I'm in the middle of writing some letters to a few significant leaders. I've had the opportunity to meet these men and women recently so these are follow up letters and not "cold calls". Regardless, the content of the correspondence is heavy. The response to my letters could have an amazing impact on the vision God has given me for our ministry here in Baltimore.

You may not be writing a letter but you may have to have a conversation. Maybe you are wanting to write a book or letter of love to your spouse. No matter what your situation is you may be in need of accomplishing a huge task that gets your heart beating fast at the weight of what you are about to attempt. Let me give you a piece of advice. "Start with the address."

In life the biggest tasks are only started by the smallest of steps. A proverb I once heard is that the greatest of journeys starts with the first step. Or maybe you prefer to hear that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. No matter the analogy it's the same principle.

So today as I begin each letter I don't start with what I hope to say to the recipient. I don't start with the heaviest part of my letter. I start with the address. That part of the puzzle won't change. That part of the page is safe but vital. If I don't have the address written, the letter will surely not arrive.

What is that next task God has for you?

Why are you stalling?

You have to start somewhere. Just start.

In my case the words I hear in my mind are "Start with the address."

1 comment:

Todd Helgesen said...

Helly Tally,
I needed to hear this today.
Blessings,
Todd