11.18.2008

Embracing Insecurity

The other day as I spoke at Compass Pointe Church , one comment I made in the midst of a lesson on Luke 5 was that I really believe we have to learn to embrace our insecurities. It wasn't until Peter did this in Luke 5 did he realize just how much he needed Jesus and ultimately dropped his life to follow Him.

The reality is that I know people in all walks of life at all salary levels and all ages. All of the great ones have some insecurities. In my eyes it is a sign of strength when a person is able to speak about their insecurities. Not that we put on a video for the world to see but that we're aware and our closest friends are also aware.

I was reading this morning in Luke 7:
40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
"Tell me, teacher," he said.

41"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

43Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
"You have judged correctly," Jesus said.


As we read this passage a few things stick out to me. While Jesus used money as the example of debt, money itself is simply an object that man places value upon. Our paper money is worthless in and of itself apart from the value applied when someone else looks at it.

The person who owed 500 and the person who owed 50 were actually in the same exact boat. Neither could pay it back. When you're broke it doesn't matter how large the debt is. You're broke. From a measurement perspective however we as people like to measure our broke-ness.

The reality of life is that we're all severely in need of grace and mercy. Not one of us no matter how "pure" we claim to be are holy. Every single one of us are spiritually bankrupt. Sure, if you apply human value to it the person who came from a life of drugs may appreciate salvation more than the person who grew up in a Christian home.

Here's the key however... The issue isn't your circumstance. It's how you view your circumstance.

For me, if the measure of my love is in proportion to realizing just how broke I am as a person... I want to EMBRACE INSECURITY!

Security is comfort, rest, peace. If I have those things ON MY OWN... I'm in big trouble. I'm an ignorant person if that's the case.

Its in recognizing my insecurity (read: inadequacy, failed state, struggles) that I see my need for Jesus all the more increasing. I want to love Jesus more today. More than yesterday. So I'm going to embrace my insecurity, my weakness and my failures. Not to champion them... but to recognize just how much I need Jesus Christ as my Savior.

If you're reading this right now and you have some insecurities but do not have Jesus Christ... please seek Him out. (You can email me and I'll talk with you.) He provides the answer to your insecurity question. Also, as you do... trust me, we're all broken. We've all fallen short and we're all equal in failure before God. That's the joy of this whole thing is that it's He who does the saving.

If He can embrace your insecurities and accept you, You should give it a try and begin to accept yourself. The goal for life is not to rid myself of insecurities... it's to find the one who can make me secure. Once you know who you are in Christ your insecurities fade behind the power of the One who made and sustains you.

No comments: