7.14.2008

Love this Quote

I'm re-reading "Mere Christianity" for about the 6th time. A guy in our small group asked if I'd be willing to walk through it with him during our regular 6 a.m. Wednesday study and prayer times. I absolutely love this book so I jumped at the opportunity.

I'm re-reading the preface where Lewis basically gives the reader all of his reasons for not going other places with the book. He then comes to the idea that someone suggested that it's possible to be a Christian without believing one or many of the key tenants about which virtually every Christian denomination agrees.

I absolutely love Lewis' thoughts on the idea that someone could be a Christian without believing some of the basics:

"Now this objection is in one sense very right, very charitable, very spiritual, very sensitive. It has every available quality except that of being useful."

He's the man!

I recommend every thinking Christian to have read this book and even re-read it on a regular basis. It's a good primer to keep a person focused on some of the key doctrines of our faith.

2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

I have never read it. I love C.S. Lewis and I will go get a copy. I'll even suggest HD read it. I had to twist his arm to get him to read the Shack, but he did. Have you read the Shack yet? Good piece of Christian Fiction.

jonathan said...

This is my "Gift Book." Anytime someone is moving, graduating, getting married or needs I good book to read I get it for them.

It's Wonderful!