1.22.2008

Abortion is Racist


What should we think of a policy that kills off blacks at a 5 to 1 ratio as compared to whites? What would we think of a policy that killed off 4 times as many poor people?
I suppose a racist would be fine with that type of statistic. Someone who doesn't care about poverty would probably justify the concept that its better not to live than to live as a poor person in the United States.

Recently the Guttmacher Institute released data that is current as of this month. Among other sad indicators was this statistic: "Black women are 4.8 times as likely as non-Hispanic white women to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are 2.7 times as likely.[7]"

That hit me hard! Why in the world is it not being reported that the practice of abortion isn't even giving people of color (blacks aren't solely from Africa so I'm not using that term for the purposes of this discussion) an equal opportunity at life? Furthermore why is there not a major discussion in our nation about the circumstances which lead a person to place a dollar value on the human life?

In addition to race, poverty is another major factor to those opting for abortions over adoption or parenting. "The abortion rate among women living below the federal poverty level ($9,570 for a single woman with no children) is more than four times that of women above 300% of the poverty level (44 vs. 10 abortions per 1,000 women).*[3]" So in essence we as a nation are 3 times more likely to see someone we deem "poor" choose abortion over life.

Poverty is a very real issue. This is one major reason I believe in the church having not just a voice but advocacy in these arenas. When I say church I am not speaking of the organization, I'm speaking of the people within that organization. If our churches see people come to Jesus and have their lives transformed I believe we would begin to also see those folks care about issues like poverty, abortion and racism. Abortion is a racist policy and unfortunately it's destroying a disproportionate number of the poor and the minority groups in America.

My mother was 16 when she got pregnant with me and 17 when she had me. I'm very glad she chose life. My wife and son agree. This issue matters to me because there are people in the position of my mother out there who feel they don't have a true choice. Abortion is racist and I'm not a fan.

No comments: