12.05.2007

On Relationships and God

There is much talk in our present generation about the necessity for a "relationship" with God. Someone recently posed the question of a necessity at all for any relationship with a deity, especially if salvation hindges on belief. Here was my immediate observation:

Relationships aren't required to be long or substantive. I have a relationship with my dentist albeit an occasional and professional one.

I would argue that a relationship is required for salvation. To pray a prayer to God requires that one know his name. Speaking to God implies some form of relationship.

People who talk about their relationship with God have a far-reaching understanding of the depth of God. God isn't a pie chart to be observed but a pie to be tasted.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good." It didn't say "Read the box to see that the Lord is good."

If I consider further the question here I'd have to consider my marriage. People can be married by document only but man... If they stopped at finishing the paperwork I'd imagine they'd never understand why couples talked so deeply and passionately about their mate.

No comments: