11.27.2007

Great Answer

Today I've been talking to some friends about some big things. In asking for points of research and expecting a list of resources, I called one friend and the conversation went something like this.

Me:
Hey man... can you tell me what you've found in the way of books out there dealing with (particular aspect of life I'm passionate about)?


Him:
Let me see if I understand. You're looking for some books that deal with (repeats in his words the question I have)?


Me:
Yeah, that about sums it up.


Him:
You may want to reach through the phone and slap me for saying this but the bible is probably the supreme source for this issue with over 2300 verses dedicated to the topic.


Me:
Ohh. Okay.


I knew that the bible had a lot of info on it but I was looking for more of today's authorship. The truth is though... my friend reminded me of a great truth.

When scripture speaks to the issue and you have a huge passion about the issue... (a passion that has come to the point of consuming your life and world view), chances are the bible IS your proof text.

I don't need affirmation from some other guy or gal out there who wrote a book that has Zondervan on the spine. Neither do you. There are things in life that the Holy Spirit will draw you to that will not resonate with the conventional thinking of the day. That's why God calls people to things. Much of what he calls us to is simply dumping "conventional" for the sake of "comissional".

Big thanks to my friend for that reminder.

No comments: