2.17.2007

A Prayer for Josh

In our city we have the largest Naval Base in the world. Norfolk, VA is home to many many military families. Before moving to the area I didn't honestly know much about the hardship that the military life can put on a family. Now having Pastored here I'll never be able to forget.

Last week I went on a trip that took me away from my family for 4 days. Although I loved my trip and was glad to accomplish many things that needed to be accomplished, I did not enjoy being away from my wife and son. Our men and women who serve in the military go away for months and sometimes a year or more. I cannot personally imagine the hardship they face.

We have in our church a guy by the name of Josh who is deploying for the second time in a year. He's only been back "home" for a few months but much of that time has been spent in training. Literally he will have spent maybe 2-3 weeks with his family between deployment, training, etc. What Josh does is dangerous and he will be placed in a very dangerous part of Iraq.

Two Sundays ago I stopped our service before the sermon to pray for Josh, to pray for a friend. In attendance that day was Josh's family from Florida who drove up here to be with him and catch a glipse of him before he went back to war. After the service his sister Nicole asked me for a copy of the prayer. Today she sent me an email with a website she created in honor of her brother and as a reminder for her family and friends to pray for him.

It's a cool reminder to me. If you wouldn't mind, take a moment to pray for any troops you know. If you don't personally know any or maybe you're like me a few years ago and don't know the hardships personally... visit this site: aPrayerForJosh.com

1 comment:

danohlerking said...

thanks for posting this. ever since i was a kid and my dad was in vietnam (as a missionary) and he told me about the way many soldiers were treated after they served there, i have had a personal mission to whenever i see a soldier in uniform wherever i am - to just walk over to him or her and shake their hand and thank them for what they do.

we've got to pray for these precious brave souls who are going into harm's way to defend the freedoms we enjoy.

so.... thank for posting this