1.22.2007

Post Post WHAT?

So I'm in the middle of a mind dump from this morning. Although I enjoyed the meeting I'll just go ahead and tell you a phrase i want to be ripped out of the vocabulary of Pastors unil they pass a test to be able to explain the definition... the phrase: "Post Modern"

I can't tell you how many times I heard "We are going after the Post Modern's... you know... the twentysomethings."

Small Rant:
Post Modernism is not an age-range or any other demographic... Lets keep them seperate. It's a way people think/reason. Usually smart people apply post modern reasoning to their life and now adays it's the confused person who also fit this catagory. Post modern is Madonna doing an album of techno music while dressed as a cowgirl on the cover. Post modern is also the lawyer who loves figuring out how to use the law to get to his desired end. It's the creative type who asks "what box?".

Please... if you're going to start a church... understand that you don't have to claim to be 'post modern' to justify doing something different from the church where you currently serve.

One of the funny things I heard today was being a church that was "Post-Post-Modern". I laughed inside because as my friend pointed out "Isn't that cyclical? Isn't that just saying that you're modern again?"

Why do we feel pressure in Christianity to come up with new words to make our idea sound cool? Okay... I'm finished... Just call me "Post- post" now I'm going to hit "post".

No comments: