7.07.2006

Denny's at 3:30 a.m.

This weekend my cousin, bro-in-law, a friend and myself were wrapping up our evening out for my cousin's bachelor party. We just finished playing pool at close to 3 a.m. when we made our way to one of the only places open... Denny's.



One thing people who are around me will tell you is that I get to know my wait-staff. If the Fast-food isn't as fast as it could be, I get to know the person handing me the food; if I'm at a resturant, forget about it... I'll know their life story by the end of the meal. I enjoy people. I enjoy taking an interest in people. I like to broaden my life experience by hearing about the experiences of others.

So here we are at 3:30 a.m. in a small town in Pennsylvania eating Denny's. I get to know the waitress a little and we start talking as she delievers each part of our meal and drinks. Ultimately the conversation turns spiritual when she asks me "What is happiness and how do we get it?"

You have to understand. Part of this young woman's story involves being shunned from the church, sleeping in her car and ultimately living with a guy who's girlfriend is considering becoming a lesbian. Our waitress has seen a ton of people approach life in a ton of ways. Ultimately however, she's wondering what happiness is.

So I shared with her my belief that the search for "happiness" is a futile search because "Happiness" depends on "happenings" where as joy depends on an eternal thing... a core thing. I explained to her that anyone can be happy at any moment but that soon will fade. Joy however is the rock that our lives is built on. Joy can only be found in knowing your eternity is secure. Because Christianity provides the best solution and the best evidence about the truthfulness of it's claims. I believe Christianity. And because Christianity is centered on Jesus Christ, the only true joy can be found in Jesus Christ.

We talked about that for a minute or so and she said "Thanks. That actually makes sense." She took our plates and went to get us the check. After the check and between some refills on our coffee she brings me a long (possibly 2 ft long) sheet of register tape and an orange marker. She says "Can you write that down? That stuff you said about joy." I said "Of course." I then handed her one of my church business cards and encouraged her to investigate Christ again. She ackowledged that she would and we paid our bill and left.

Well, just yesterday I got an email from our waitress. The conversation now continues. I honestly pray that she comes to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. Through our conversation I'll continue pointing her down that path as well as pointing her to a church in her area. (Mechanicsburg,PA in case any readers know a cool church up there)

I've been challenged lately to continue sharing my faith more often. There aren't many more strange times to share my faith than in a Dennys at 3:30 a.m. at the end of a Bachelor party with the guys. I really believe that God is at work in people's lives and if we make ourselves available... he will use us to draw people to Him.

Ask God to provide you these opportunities. I assure you he will and they will be easier than you realize if you just make yourself available.

No comments: