6.28.2006

Contemplation

Going away for two days gives you an opportunity to ponder things. I think God has wired me to be more of a Harriet Tubman.

I want to make it possible for people to get out of bondage, I don't really care to live with them in it.

During the terrible time of slavery in our country there became three types of African American leaders. Those who taught slaves how to keep quiet so the pain won't hurt as much... Those who got free and spent the rest of their life enjoying their liberty ... and those who got free and spent the rest of their lives trying to get others free.

Harriet Tubman chose the thrid option. She's famously quoted as often telling runaway slaves on her Undeground Railroad that once they were on the "railroad" they were not going back. Slaves who got scared were a liability and she'd often pull out a gun and remind them that the train only heads north.

Another quote that I love:
"I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

My life has a wide range of socio-economic experiences... I intend to use them to connect worlds often left unconnected and to help set captives free.

2 comments:

Carole Turner said...

Oh my gosh, I love that quote!!

Unknown said...

Great quote.
It's awesome that it's also a way of life for you.

peace