5.24.2006

Horizontal or Verticle

Another verse that stuck out to me was Galatians 1:10

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Ed Young hit a little of this when he spoke at the Buzz Conference. He encouraged us not to let our vision go Horizontal.

I've done this by default but I've been so surpised at how many people live with a horizontal mind-set. As a Pastor I have had to make some tough decisions. I could have pacified whiners in the crowd but it would have harmed our long-term vision. I'm positive that in the future we will have more of these discussions. When we go horizontal and either start catering to (or shying away from) the complainers we almost will always kill whatever vision God put in our hearts at the beginning of the journey.

Paul found himself in an uncomfortable place. He was having to justify himself to these people whom he had invested so much in. People who obviously weren't leading the church the way he would have and ultimately people who were leading people away from the true Gospel. Paul either had to follow man or follow God. It's safe to say that he made the right choice.

Are your motives today Horizontal or Vertical?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insights... and a good reminder, Tally!