12.06.2005

Closer?

I've been thinking today about the 'career Christians' that move from church to church and shepard to shepard. I'm coming to a conclusion that the only reason a person should join/leave a church is to be closer to Jesus and his mission for their life.

I want to ask the career Christian...

Will this move bring you closer to Jesus?
Will it draw you into his presence?
Will it make you less about self and more about Him?
Will it cause you to put down your idols and pick up the cross?
Will it bring you closer to following the Holy Spirit when you don't 'feel like it'?
Will changing your location also change your heart? Will it?

Or will a move of venues take you further from Christ?
Will this move reinforce your selfish behavior?
Will it make you less transparent and more anonymous in your personal life?
Will leaving your church provide you more 'cover' from anyone seeing your heart?
Will it take you further away from Christ and closer to the world's view of success and pleasure?
Will leaving your church seal your fate for the next few years to a life of superficial Christianity?
Will going to a new church allow you to lie all over again?
Will a new church pick up on your shallow faith and weak backbone?

Will changing churches draw you closer to Jesus or closer to your sinful nature?

I do believe at times God may move us so that we can take 'the next step forward' in our relationship with Him. I do also believe, however, that the reality is that these moves for the right reason are few and far between.

Most "church hops" are simply horizontal in nature or worse yet, most are steps backwards.

I want to reach people with the gospel of Christ and I want every Christian around me to have that passion. Being reached with the gospel isn't "just salvation". I want Christians to start being "Christ-Followers" and do what HE came to earth to do (i.e. "Seek and to save that which was lost.")

The next time someone church hops out of your church ask them...
"Does this move draw you closer to Jesus or closer to your selfish nature?"

1 comment:

Tally Wilgis said...

Yes Matt. I think we need to. I spoke with someone today on the phone after this post. We both spoke to this fact. I believe we have to pony up at the beginning and ask questions.

I'll post more on this tomorrow.