8.11.2005

Leadership is like Golf


I'm certain that this post will only add to the misnomer about Pastors but who cares... I played golf today.

This was the first time in probably 2 years (basically since we decided to plant the church) that I've played a round of golf. There was much rejoicing. I went with a guy named Lyle from the church and we ended up getting paired with two older gentleman. They were each playing alone so the course tossed us into a four-some. We had a good time. For myself I didn't play too badly (98 on par 72)... I said FOR MYSELF. :) I remember one of the last times I played I shot a 75 on the front 9. So today was nice. Me and my Vagger Bance clubs had fun.



My mind constantly spits out metaphors and similes to no end.
Around the 12th hole I thought... Leadership IS like being a golfer.

Our task as leaders is to use the clubs in our bag to move the ball. The key is utilizing each club the way it was designed. If you don't understand the club, it doesn't matter how hard you swing, you will not get the best performance. In that case, the blame is not the club but rather yourself. Is there someone on your team being utilized poorly? What will you do to make the adjustment?

Not only must we understand the club in order to achieve top performance, but we also must use our full bag. No matter how much we'd like it, we can't always use our driver... you can do that but just like the golf course, you will not be most effective. I thought today how we all have 'star players' that we use for everything but it's vital to the growth of the organization that we are sure to know what's in our bag so well that we can best utilize everything to the betterment of the organization.

So today's take aways: 1. Know your people (clubs) and 2. Utilize more clubs (people) in their sweet spots.

2 comments:

praynlady said...

I love the way your mind thinks. I see the same thing and yet I unlike you am too afraid to write them down. I guess, I should not be ashamed but grateful that God has given me this gift: seeing Him in everything I do. Ok, maybe not the snake (see my posts) but other than that, everything!

Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I love this movie. I haven't decided which is harder though, golf or leading people?