6.09.2005

ONE

You may have seen Brad Pitt on Primtime live this week.

In between the lust for the next 'scoop', Diane Sawyer managed to assist Mr. Pitt in sharing about a relevant crisis and a growing network of people who want to make a difference.

It appears that we may actually have the opportunity for "Christianity" to partner with everyone else in the world to do some good through a campaign called "The ONE Campaign". Many celebrates have joined many Christian organizations and humanitarian groups in this effort and have signed this declaration. What I noticed when I looked at the celebrity list was that bands like DMB and No Doubt and Bono are listed alongside Toby Mac, Third Day, Relient K and Jars of Clay. This has the potential for Christians to build bridges with the rest of the world on a very human level. Many times people see what we say we believe and feel that it doesn't match up with our actions.

The goal of ONE.org is to re-align America's governmental budget to contribute 1 percent of the overall budget (about $25 billion) to fighting issues like poverty and HIV/AIDS. The resources are at our fingertips. To give you some idea, the cost for the 2004 elections was approximately 4 billion dollars. Another thought might be the cost of the current Iraq war (which I personally support) at around $175 billion (total congressional approval for Iraq and Afghanistan to date is $300 billion).

This discussion is not about wars or political parties. This issue is about humanity and stewardship. As the richest nation in the world and leaders of some of the most wealthy people in the world, we all have the potential to make an enormous impact.

I read a while back that if we own more than 1 set of clothes then we are in the top 1/3 of the richest people on the planet. I also read recently that 1 billion people live on less than 1 dollar a day. Each time I file my taxes I also have the opportunity to approve $3 to go into a fund for political campaigns. It doesn't require my personal cash, just my voice.

From the site:
ONE percent of the U.S. budget is $25 billion, and redirecting that much money would have to be done over time. Directed to honest governments, private charities and faith-based organizations, this support would provide the tools and resources they need to really make a difference. American support would be part of a compact with poor countries who fight corruption and use their own resources to help their people out of poverty. American leadership would be an example for rich countries in Europe and Asia to do their share to help the poorest people in the world.

In addition to the celebs I mentioned earlier, World Vision and Save the Children are two other prominent organizations involved in this effort. I want to encourage the rest of us (starting with myself) to play a role in this opportunity. I'm not a big "fight for this cause" type of guy. I just see something here that makes a ton of sense and there is no way I can justify inaction on my part.

The potential impact on our world is amazing if enough of us help shed light on the issues. I encourage you to get involved and spread the word. No one is asking for your cash, just your voice.

3 comments:

...steven said...

Thanks for the reminder Tally - I just blogged about it today.

Jarrett said...

I first saw this on the Newsboys web-site, but wasn't exactly sure what it was about. What is involved in signing the declaration?

Tally Wilgis said...

Jarret,
Just go to ONE.org and you can sign the petition there. They are collecting the names (placed into letters) and sending them to the President (his office). The goal is to generate enough ground swell that encoruages the President to consider the requests of average Americans. The Live 8 concert is also attached to this campaign. Please email me if you have more questions.

thanks-