5.09.2005

Liberty University

Tonight I'm writing from the campus of Liberty University. Can I just say how jealous I am?

I know it's bad for me to feel this way (and honestly I'm more excited for the future than jealous about the past).

Liberty has stepped it up! The campus is amazing and the city is becoming a wonderful place to live and play. Earlier today I came across a new town center being developed called Wyndhurst.
Wyndhurst is a newly built community of townhomes, apartments and homes anchored by an active adult retirement community and the new (and expansive) YMCA. The community is being built surrounding a 'mini' downtown area with various shops (coffee, arts, tanning, books, etc.). It's a beautiful place to live.

Lynchburg has come alive the last several years since I called this place home. Major retailers have built wonderful shopping areas all around the campus and Liberty itself is in a constant state of growth. Every time I come to this campus I am overwhelmed with how large a vision Dr. Falwell has for this place. God birthed in the heart of a 22 year old man the passion that drives this campus (and subsequently this city) to this day! Liberty University is experiencing tremendous growth in enrollment, facilities, spirituality, etc.

I love this place.

I visited with my old boss "Mrs. Stinsen" today as well. She was one of the people who gave me the opportunity to lead. She also showed me a lot about supporting staff. I remember one day during the summer I was the director of the summer program at Thomas Road. Someone who was under me in position was challenging my authority at the beginning of the summer (this young lady had been on staff for several years--to my 1-- and she thought she knew the best way to do everything---the same as it had always been--.) When this problem came to the attention of Mrs. Stinsen she reminded the young woman that I was brought in to lead and unless I was extremely out of line it would be best that she follow.

This is but one lesson I have from my time spent here at Liberty. Did I mention I love it?

No comments: