5.11.2005

Another Stupid Church Sign

At the end of my road is a new YMCA (about 1.5-2yrs old). Across the street from the new Y is an old church. The church is larger than most (900 or so) but as with many churches they are somewhat out of touch.

A prime example to me is a banner displayed on the front of their church building facing the YMCA parking lot. This banner has been on the building for a month or so but I didn't notice what they were advertising until today. As I took a moment to read the banner I realized that they were not advertising anything!

This sign was (in my opinion) a horrible attempt at outreach. the sign read "what about your SPIRITUAL fitness?"

Yes. The YMCA has a very long section of the building for treadmills. This section has glass walls which face the main road (and therefore the church building). So as some people attempt to work out they look across at a big church building that reminds them again that they are on the 'outside' of Christianity. The front door to the YMCA is also directly across the street from the church building so anyone walking out of that building is potentially exposed to a sign that tells them that taking care of their health is even a failure in the eyes of "the church".

My first thought when I read this sign was "What about it?" AND I AM A CHRISTIAN!
This Pastoral team has a great opportunity to witness to families who come directly across the street every day to take care of their health and the health of their children. Why in the world would they put up a dumb sign like this?

1 comment: