3.31.2005

R-E-A-D

When I was a 10 year old in Baltimore City I sat front seat to Baltimore Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke's PR campaign. Upon taking office Mr. Schmoke gave the city a new slogan: "Baltimore: The City That Reads"

Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke
defeated incumbant (all of 11 months) Clarence Du Burns to take the office previously held by the then new Governor William Donald Schaffer. Mr. Schmoke was't a slacker when it came to education. Schmoke received a degree in history from Yale University, was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford University, and graduated from Harvard Law School.

I don't believe a PR campaign solves social ills however I do recall understanding as a 10 year old walking to school everyday in the city (seeing buses, city vehicles and city benches plastered with this slogan) that the new Mayor was attempting to convey the importance of reading.

ALL OF THAT TO SAY THIS:
I've been off lately with my reading (aside from church: extrachurch-ular). I enjoy law, government, the political system and some history. As a result I normally read something from these areas.

I have decided to forgive myself and pick up a new book. Last night I ordered "His Excellency" by Ellis.

I'll keep you posted with my progress.

No comments: