1.25.2005

Like getting a tooth pulled

... That's how I felt this morning as I sat in a dentist chair. Yes I did get a tooth pulled. I had a nagging wisdom tooth in the top left-hand side of my mouth. It was fully grown and wasn't too much of a problem but it was useless so my dentist wanted to yank it.

At the office I got to speak to my dentist and I asked him about his faith and what he thought of the local church. I asked him and I ask you... Where could the church improve?

In the church we are answering the questions that people aren't asking.

Andy Stanley said "People aren't interested in "The Truth" but they are interested in what works. He believes we should start with what works in life and lead them to the Truth. Christians should not be afraid of life's questions or alternative answers. We should, however, provide the answer of "Here's what works in ____ area of your life" and then show them the author of the solution. It's a tough world and relationships hang in the balance. We have to focus each day on how we're imacting our culture with the truth of Christ.

My dentist said he'd ponder the question of how the church could help him and get back to me. It wasn't an easy question for him. He did talk with me about some encouraging speakers he'd recently seen and he even gave me a DVD with one of the motivational speaker's messages on it. I'll check it out soon and get back to him.

I hope for all of us that it doesn't take us getting teeth pulled for us to discuss faith with those around us. Be open in your everyday life to ask questions and get to know people.

It's about Relationships. Discussing your faith is NOT like getting your tooth pulled.

No comments: