1.17.2005

Customer Service Horror

(postscript note: Check out http://toddstorch.typepad.com/business/ for a great customer service series this week) I found it after I posted this message...

If you are in any position of customer service, please think through what your systems will do to customers.

Because I'm headed to Dallas this week (to attend Fellowship Church and their C3 Conference), I needed to get a new battery charger for my phone from Sprint. I went to their store locally and became part of the madness known as a solution to cell phone store overcrowding.

As I walked through the door I was met with a guy at a desk with a clipboard who gave me the look... You know... The look that says "excuse me, I'm the guy with the clipboard.... Give me your name!" I walked over to him and said "I'd like to buy a charger." He said "Okay, what is your name?" Without worry I politely gave my name and went to the wall holding my charger expecting that I'd soon be on my way. This wasn't the case. You see... The guy with the clipboard holds all power to the Sprint PCS store. Clipboard guy is actually the bridge guard from Monty pythons Search for the Holy Grail. "Red, ...I mean Blue...aaahhhhhh!"

Anyway, I ask Mr. Clipboard if I can buy the charger. He says... You're 3rd in line. I said "You don't have anyone who can ring me up?" "No" he said "You're third in line... It'll just be a few minutes." (Have you ever seen the Avis commercial?)

Anyway, as I stood against the wall observing the array of conversations between customers and customers, customers and employees and yes, employees and employees I thought to myself....

This system was set up for a great cause I'm sure. Anyone who has been to a cell phone store can tell you how chaotic it can be. I've seen everything from complete chaos, to deli-style numbering systems and yes the great clipboard all employed in an effort to fix the problem. The system with the clipboard is a great system for people who need individual attention and discussion while selecting the right phone, the right plan or even to discuss a problem with their phone. However, it's horrible for a person wanting an accessory. The other thing that I noticed was that the clipboard guy becomes sort of a bouncer to protect the employees from having to stay busy. Instead of the employee being busy nonstop, it is the customers who line the wall as if they were picked up by the police department for a mugshot lineup.

I also noticed that employees would talk with one another knowing that they were safe thanks to the clipboard. So I get to hear how an employee enjoyed their weekend and who's dating who... But what I don't get is quick service.

I learned in college about the triangle of customer service. The idea that customers want speed, quality and low cost. For a great experience, a customer only needs two of the three. I got one. I got quality product (hopefully). The problem is that I could have gotten two of three if only the system allowed for it.

Here's my suggestion... Put the clipboard guy next to a register. Placing a register next to the sign-in area allows for small items to be dealt with right away. This will lead to less wait for everyone and more space in the already crowded store.

So, if you are in a position to think about systems... Think customer experience. Do your best to think about the anomaly. Not everyone will be in the "solution" percentage. We actually sometimes create a "problem" section of people. Fix that, and you have a great solution.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have given clipboard guy the charger and went to Best Buy. :)