3.01.2010

Called to a People, Called to a Place

For many years I would tell you that I was not called to a place. I have felt called to be a follower of Jesus which includes the basics of loving others as myself, placing others above myself and stuff like the golden rule. Then along the way I felt called to use my gifts and talents, my time and energy, my very being to lead others by developing their abilities to expand God's Kingdom. I even felt a call to starting churches nearly 10 years ago but still not called to a 'place'.

Nearly two years ago I was in Virginia 'doing ministry' when I got a phone call that ultimately turned into a divine call. Through a process of praying, fasting and seeking counsel I felt (6 months later) that God was calling me to a people and a place. God was calling me back to my hometown of Baltimore.


We've seen tremendous receptivity to what we're doing here. We've been fortunate in just about 5 months to see 34 profess Jesus publicly in front of our church by walking the aisle and trusting Christ as Savior. We've seen of that group 14 who have been baptized as an outward symbol of that inward change. We have also certainly faced adversity (usually with a smile) and we're certain to face more. Ultimately though every day I fall more in love with the fact that God has brought me home to Baltimore.

Baltimore is a funky town with dozens and dozens of population segments, neighborhoods, history, tradition, eclectic-ness and plenty of drugs, violence, crime and fear. What Baltimore needs more of in my humble opinion however is the hope found only in Jesus Christ. It's an honor for me to be here. It's such an honor to be among a people that you know God has asked you to live life and proclaim His love.

1 comment:

Spengldorf said...

Wow, that's awesome that the Lord specifically directs us like that. Pastor Tally, I pray that your time in Baltimore will be incredibly fruitful!