1.19.2010

Powerful Original Worship Song

Last week I got a call from our Worship Pastor Danny Hallis. He shared with me that he wanted to write a song from his heart in response to the devastation in Haiti.


The truth is that incidents like this are faith-shaking events for many Christians.


New believers and immature believers aren't yet sure how to respond to something so tragic as what we saw coming out of Haiti. Danny had begun the process of composing a song and called to seek out some input. We discussed the event and I pointed him to Psalm 46 which begins: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

Danny is a talented young man with whom I'm honored to serve. I've been excited to have a front-row seat to God's working in Him as a worshiper of Jesus and a leader to others.

What God gave Danny turned out to be a pretty powerful song. One of the things I've prayed for is that God would give our church songs of worship that come from our people. To me, this song is the first of what will become many. This song is theologically sound and serves as a powerful cry to a sovereign God. The song effectively proclaims that we trust when we cannot see and the ability to do that is in my mind the essence of worshiping God.

Watch this video a few times. I promise it will catch your heart. You can follow Danny on Twitter at Twitter.com/DannyHallis. You cannot hire him away from us ;) The lyrics are below. I love this song. By the way, we gave 50% of our offering last Sunday to Haiti relief. God moved in our services last weekend.




Inspired by Psalm 46 & Haiti
by Danny Hallis

I don't have all the answers
So I'm questioning
Amidst all the chaos and destruction
how am i supposed to sing?
If You're God of tomorrow
then You're God of today
You're here in this moment
in our suffering

I will trust in Your unfailing love
You remain, You remain when all else is not enough

So come make beauty in these broken hearts
when all around is crushed by loss
Make Your name glorified above all else
Until the ends of the earth will know of Your love

You are my refuge
You are my strength
When trial comes
You're there in the break of day
I won't be afraid
When the earth gives way
and the mountains are swallowed by the sea

I will trust in Your unfailing love
You remain, You remain when all else is not enough

Come make beauty in these broken hearts
When all around is crushed by loss
Make Your name glorified above all else
Until the ends of the earth will know of Your love

Let us be the church that shines Your light
in the darkest place, in the darkest times

No comments: