7.02.2008

Wise People

Over the years I've noticed a trend among people who I consider wise. This trend is unsettling when you're dealing with them initially but in the rear-view mirror it is an attribute I've come to respect.

Here it is:
Wise people don't tell you what to do.

When we went to launch the church I took time to talk with some wise people whom I respect. I asked them to look me over and ask any questions they wanted to ask. At the end of the day I wanted to know if they thought it was wise for me to plant the church. Each and every one of them spent several hours with me. They poked and prodded and asked various questions. They were different men. One was a church planter, another a pastor of a church plant of 10 years and yet another was a very successful Christian business man. While they were in different stages and made different wages, they are all wise.

At the end of the day all of these men told me that as far as they were concerned they saw no red flags. What they didn't say however is what makes them truly wise.

None of them said: "Yes, go plant." None of them said "Here is exactly what YOU should do."

As of late I've had several job offers come my way. In praying for direction I have a sense that I should take this time and remain open to what God may be trying to do.

The reality is that I may not even have God's situation in front of me today. So I'm taking time to process everything.

In discussing these opportunities, I have found that I have surrounded myself with some pretty wise friends. They give me the answers to the questions I ask and although I know they have opinions of how they would handle things I have not had one friend TELL ME what to do. Answer my questions? Yes. Try to live their life vicariously through me? No. They are secure and they understand the value of their role as wise counsel.

Once again I am reminded that wisdom that comes from God allows men and women to get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit speak. Wise people provide the guard rails of their knowledge, experience and wisdom but they refuse to meddle in the decisions left to a man and God.

I like wise people. If you're one of the wise people who have been a part of my conversations recently... thanks. I've needed you.

1 comment:

Happy Mommy said...

I'm really wondering why I haven't heard from you lately! HA HA HA! I am totally laughing and kidding!
I am so glad God has brought wise people into your life at this time.