7.10.2008

Jesus: Champion of Humility

Philippians 2 is one of my favorite passages of scripture. Not because it promises me my best life now or that it outlines a prayer to expand my territory or even that I am a friend of God... it's a great passage for me because it is a challenging passage that keeps me humble.

Read it straight through. Then below I wrote a few of my thoughts.

Philippians 2:5-11

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.


Philippians 2:5-11

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

My attitude is usually a lot less Christ-like than I'd admit.

6Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

The funny thing is that we're nothing close to God but we (in our selfish actions) all want to be our own god. Jesus had the throne but was willing to let go. What's crazy is to think what he let it go for... you and me. So stinkin' humbling.

7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

Again, our attitude is to make much of ourselves, not less. He took on the nature of a servant and human likeness... I'm challenged by this often. What "nature" am I willing to take on?

8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

I often come back to this section to remember the amount of humility Jesus displayed. He not only reduced himself to human form but a servant in human form... not only a servant but he allowed himself in that male form to die. He didn't just die... he died the worst way at the time... on the cross. Jesus displayed an amazing amount of humility in order to show us that our ambitions to be our own God are so petty.

9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,

Therefore (what's it there for?) BECAUSE of Jesus' humility and going to the cross God the father exalted him. This is a continual theme in scripture. God elevates those willing to be lower. Scripture also consistently shows that God breaks down the proud. We're told not to think more highly of ourselves than we should. We should remember to reduce ourselves and increase Him in our lives and the eyes of others.

10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

AMEN!

How is scripture hitting you these days? Do you have a passage that humbles you before God?

2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

Let me start by saying being humble is a real struggle, I have a verse that totally humbles me but for the life of me I can't remember the book and I being not so humble would never ever post a "I thing it goes like this" on a pastor's blog... So I spent 30 minutes looking it up so that I could tell you how I humble myself... Hello! God spoke I asked forgiveness, I know he doesn't want perfection he wants me, not perfect totally forgetful and all. So Thank You Tally!

And the verse is Philippians 4:19 And it is He who will supply all of your needs from his riches in glory, because of what Christ Jesus has done for us.

When I Happy Mommy try and handle everything, I am often reminded it's not me who can take care of us It's Christ. It's not HD who provides all our money it is again Christ. I can't protect my children from the evil of this world it's Christ who does and can do all things. I can go on and on you get the point.

Trying to be humble
HM

Tucker hibbs said...

One of my favs too. A close second to Peter jumping out of the boat and then seeing how big and strong the waves were.