6.10.2008

Young Leaders and Yoda

I just got off of the phone with Boyd Bettis. We met a few weeks back at WiBo. If you don't have Boyd on your 'young church leader radar', I'd suggest you get him there.

I absolutely love talking to leaders in ministry. It's a small fraternity. At the end of the day there are really only a hundred or so (few hundred max) leaders around the country that represent the lotus of thinking in our generation. Once you sit and talk to various guys/gals in our world you quickly see the few degrees of separation.

One of the cool reminders that came to mind while talking to Boyd was: It is vital for leaders to take an interest in gifted young people.

Boyd shared with me that Michael Lukaszewski, Pastor of Oak Leaf Church in Georgia took an interest in Boyd as a rowdy teenager. In effect he served as Boyd's Yoda. Michael let him get involved in 'leadership' decisions and actions at a young age and it was that experience and encouragement that propelled Boyd to take an interest in the church as a vessel to change the world.

At the end of the day I think every great leader can point to a very similar story. At one point or another someone took an interest in them and said "I believe in you."

Do not underestimate the value of your affirmation. Your words speak volumes. Make certain you take the time to tell someone they matter today. BE A YODA to someone.

Do you have one of those stories? Who was your mentor? Who was your Yoda? How did their influence affect what you do today?

2 comments:

toyota4ever said...

I agree with what you're saying here, but I think there's something else that cannot be left out. Don't overlook someone with a great heart, but few or no apparent gifts. I think of Mary, who had no obvious gifts, and yet God saw her heart, and used her in a mighty way. David was probably not the most gifted of his brothers, and yet God saw a heart yielded to Him, and made a place for him in His plans. In my own experience with people, I’ve found that a gifted person doesn’t always pack an amazing heart; but a person of substantial character usually comes with a ton of gifts that are usually just waiting for someone to discover and invest in them.

Terrace Crawford said...

I totally want to echo this.

Thanks for taking the time to mention this, Tally. Two professors in college really mentored me... one still checks in regularly from time to time via phone. I really appreciate the check-ups and advise. Even though his calls are short-n-sweet they mean so much.

I hope I can provide this type of mentoring (naturally) to leaders who follow behind me for generations to come.

By the way, I agree that Boyd is the man.