3.25.2008

A skull-crackin' blog to follow


So I've noticed a trend among the bulk of the blogs I follow... they are homogeneous. Lets face it... if you're anything like me and you're a Pastor... you follow a circle of 15-20 blogs of great people who are all doing the same thing... trying to grow a church.

While the insights are great and their voices unique, at times it can become an echo chamber.

This past week I came across a blog that rocks. The reason this blog rocked my world isn't that the author is in any better position or any smarter or provides any more 'bang' than the other friends I follow... but really... because its raw ministry... in the city.

[CUE 'UNDER THE BRIDGE' by Red Hot Chili Peppers]



As you know I'm from Baltimore, MD. I came across the blog of a young woman who works in the inner-city of Baltimore with the kids there.

In a ministry she's only done for about 7 months they are averaging 75-100 kids per night (Wednesdays). When you learn of the problems of the neighborhood and the demographics you see the horrible impact poverty has on a community. Most of the kids come from single-parent homes... most have drugs in their families, violence surrounds them, they attend schools which don't keep them safe and provide sub-standard education... and the rest of the world wonders why "those people" aren't getting ahead.

My heart (and in the future my wallet) goes out to this and other ministries like it.

Check it out for yourself... but I'm warning you... it has the potential to screw up your bloglines account.

http://charmcity-colleen.blogspot.com/

No comments: