1.04.2008

Pastors promote products, not Politics (apparently)

A prominant young Pastor who's ministry I admire GREATLY recently called Pastors who endorse a political candidate "a prostitute that has sold out the Gospel of Christ"

According to this I am allowed to tell people...
- Football teams I like.
- Food I like.
- Stores I like to shop in.
- Which medicine works for my cold.
- What television shows I enjoy (and spend time discussing plot lines).

But I do not have the freedom to say publically which candidate I favor and why.

I can let my congregation in on my thinking about why one state school is better than another state school. I can promote companies I've dealt with or talk about bad experiences with companies. I can tell people which shoes I like and which ones I do not. Pumping products is fine...

BUT... If I talk about which candidate I'm supporting and the reason for my support, I'm a "prostitute" and I'm lifting up a "'Savior' that a party puts out every four years."

So as a Pastor I can lift up companies and products but "lifting up" which politician I favor is off limits? I can openly discuss the deep things of life like college football but I better not dare discuss how policy and government is decided in America.

I'll explain why I have a very strong disagreement with this philosophy in another post. Before I do I want my readers to know that I do not agree with anyone 100% (ask my wife). Simply because I disagree with a fantastic Christian leader on this issue does not reflect my view on him or the ministry. You can rest assured I will not call anyone a "prostitute" or accuse them of savior switching.

Check back soon for why I believe it is absolutely irresponsible for Christian leaders NOT to discuss politics with their congregation. Rest assured however that I agree that the stage is off limits... I'll be addressing blogs and personal involvement.

UPDATE:
I read this post from the same blog in June and agreed with it. My concern is over the assumption that showing public support equals prostitution or selling out.

4 comments:

Definitely Abnormal said...

I'm not normally the blog-commenting type, but on this I have to break the tradition.

Peddling anything from the pulpit other than Christ is a waste of time and resources. Those people came to church to hear about Christ--not football, politics, and other opinions. That's not your time. It's God's. (And you've already said that...)

BUT to say that you should not openly support or endorse someone or something, regardless of what it is, OUTSIDE of the church? No, that's not right. The fact is, most of us feel strongly about something OTHER than Christ; the difference is, it won't change much that matters if my baseball team loses. If my candidate loses, though, it is a real possibility that murdering children and homosexuality will be readily endorsed by my country; that citizens will die because the government flip-flopped around on this war. And I think that's important enough to take a stand on.

Now, here's where I REALLY have to disagree with Mr. Noble: Politics is NOT football. It's not a TV show or good book. Politics is something than can and will greatly affect the future of our lives, our FREEDOMS, our country, and our world. Therefore, it is VERY relevant. And the fact is that as a pastor, you have not just a right, but a responsibility to do all that you can to "promote" Christ in your church, your life, and your NATION. Endorsing a candidate that you believe is the best reflection of a Godly leader isn't wrong. If we have the ability to make a difference and do NOTHING? That's wrong. Prayer should be a huge part of our lives as Christians, but at some point we have to get off our butts and do something. I, for one, will do what I can to endorse the candidate that I feel will do all in his power to make this nation a Godly nation. I will pray for him. I will pray for this nation. More than that, though, I will tell everyone I can that I 'endorse' him and why. And maybe, just maybe, if enough people do that (and other things) he'll get elected. And maybe we'll have a good president for the next four to eight years, and MAYBE the leader of the free world will be a man that ISN'T AFRAID TO HIT HIS KNEES and follow God's leading for this country. I won't refrain from helping that kind of guy get into office, and in my opinion, neither should you.

Jason Curlee said...

Hey Tally...although I will probably never go on platform or even on my blog telling anyone which candidate I am supporting (Huckabee) or pulling for (Huckabee)...I will totally agree with you on this post.

Whether he likes it or not and I love that guy and what they do in their church...how he stated that was wrong especially in light of all he does promote.

Happy Mommy said...

Wow.... I as a Christ Follower, look for a pastor the LEADER OF A CHURCH to share with his church who and why he believes in a political party or person. I think many people learn greatly about morals and money at this up coming time of year and as a Pastor you should feel free to encourage and equip people to vote in a way to protect our future and the future of our children. If a church member is uncomfortable hearing their own pastor speak about a political party then are they ashamed... I have even asked former pastors and friends opinion on this very subject, and welcome the advice from someone I put my trust in to help me grow in my walk with the Lord... I certainly welcome their political views!!!!

DARREN PLUMMER: said...

T,

It's our responsibility as pastors to educate and inform our people of what politicians are putting out there... good and bad... especially during election times. Don't know if I'll vote for Huckabee :-), but I appreciate you taking a stand...

D=PLUM