6.14.2007

The Trumpet Call

Psalm 12:8
The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men.

Something is wrong when God's people remain silent to injustice around them. I believe we've become far too comfortable with what is vile. We call it 'tarnished' or 'broken' or 'just the way it is'. No. If people who are in the wrong are allowed to strut their stuff unchecked their behavior will only grow worse.


Example 1: Poverty.
In many cases as poverty rises, people with finances simply run to the hills instead of working to fix the problem. As a consequence America's cities are in a cycle of decay while America's new dream is to have a 45 minute commute to work "in town" where "those people" live.

"The wicked freely strut about
when what is vile is honored among men."

Example 2: Abuse of Power.
How many times does it happen that those with power misuse it to get 'one up' on others. In many cases this abuse goes unchecked because the 'good' people who know the wrong close their eyes or turn their heads to the problem. As a consequence in the short run it isn't the "good" person who suffers, just the victim of the abuse.

"The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men."

Example 3: Racism.
For so long in our country we turned a blind eye to racism. From slavery to the civil rights movement our "good 'ol boy" network tried to justify the tired mantra that blacks weren't equal with whites. Politicians (like Lincoln and Washington at various times) spoke out against slavery while they themselves owned slaves. As recent as the 1960's white evangelical preachers framed the argument as rebellion against authority and argued that civil rights were really 'civil wrongs'.

"The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men."

Since I can remember I've been someone who stood up when I saw someone being taken advantage of. I have been one of those guys who would let you get away with a little more if you were directly picking on me but not so much if you picked on someone I love. Over the last few years in ministry God has been expanding the pool of "those I love" to include people who are the subjects of injustice in all areas of life.

But here's the thing. I don't have a passion to do things on a small scale. For instance with poverty. I'm not passionate about only handing someone a hamburger. While this is a VITAL role that many are called to fulfill, I feel compelled (in addition to meeting everyday needs) to end poverty in my backyard and destroy the cycles that keep people in it. When it comes to abuse of authority. I'm not the type of person to be satisfied with only righting the record for the case in front of me, I'm passionate about rooting out people in power who would abuse it in the first place. As it falls to racism. I'm not okay with segregated church services or running to the 'burbs. I'm interested in integration of churches and revitalization of downtowns to draw those people back.

"The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men."

It appears that I'm in the minority among the society in which I live. I'm just recently becoming aware/comfortable with that. Honestly I'm not comfortable in the sense that I can't do anything... I'm comfortable with the fact that leadership often times means standing alone until others will step forward out of the line with you.

What does it mean to be salt and light if it doesn't mean to stand up for the cause of Christ (Truth) and Justice? I'm praying for men and women whom I influence to become men and women who stand on God's word and aren't afraid of consequence.

There is a time to play the game and there is a time to say aloud that it is in fact a game and the righteous can't play games with truth and justice. Do you hear the trumpet call? What areas have you put up with for far too long? Where is your voice needed?

"The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men."

No comments: