4.18.2007

Burnin' down the house


This morning I decided I wanted to test out some new mocha stuff that I purchased the other day. The instructions required me to warm milk. So I grabbed a cup from the cabinet over our microwave and filled it with milk and put it in the microwave. As I walked into my living room I heard a "Crackle,Pop,Crackle" and thought "OHH CRAPPP!"

I ran into the kitchen to find my microwave on fire... fortunately it was on the inside and contained... but sure enough it was on fire... I began to look around the kitchen for our fire extinguisher. I remembered moving it around as if it was an annoyance (after all I had never had to use one in my life!). I recalled sticking it in our cupboard above the paper towels. Grabbing the extinguisher I did my best impression of the movie "Backdraft" and began beating down the flames. Fighting the fire lasted all of 5 seconds as the blaze succumbed to the power of my 3lb fire extinguisher.

Although I was concerned with the fire, I felt comfortable that it was able to be contained inside of the microwave. The biggest problem I had was the clean up process afterwards. I didn't realize how much power was in one of those things... and frankly I only used a few seconds of spray... I can't imagine what my house would have looked like if I released the whole can.

Anyway... I'm thankful that it wasn't worse... but boy was that crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This wasn't just any old "cup" from the cabinet. It was a stainless STEEL travel mug!! I'm just glad you're okay, and now we can finally get a new microwave.

Jessi said...

The photo IS very incriminating...I looked at it and thought "Is that a METAL cup?!?!?" Tough way to start a day...

Mitch Corn said...

Thanks This was a really hot post...Sorry i just had to pun. it was too easy.

Glad your ok and that your wife gets a new microwave...wait a second did she tell you to use a metal cup...Kristy, was this a plot for a new Mircowave?