11.18.2006

Fighting Christian

Tonight is UFC 64: Bad Intentions. In looking around for information about the fight I came across the site of Matt Huges, the headline fighter for tonight's fight. I was pumped to see that he's professing Christian. All over his site and blog he mentions his Savior Jesus Christ. After my post from yesterday this was such an encouragement. I know for a fact that a bunch of the fighters profess a belief in Jesus Christ as Savior so it's cool to see some Christians who are in the world but not of it. Here is a recent post on Matt's blog. Check it out:

"Monday, November 06, 2006
I was talking with Matt Pena, my boxing coach, and we got to talking about the book of Esther in the Bible. If you've never read it, I would recommend it. It's only ten chapters so it goes pretty quick. It's about how God takes a young Jewish girl and makes her the queen of Persia and eventually uses her to destroy Israel's enemies. When I was reading it, there were a couple of quotes that really stuck out for me and got me to thinking.
The first is when her uncle, Mordecai, tells her "Who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" The king had just issued an order that all the Jews where to be killed off and Mordecai was saying that God had placed Esther in the position of queen for the purpose of saving the Jews. (The king didn't know that Esther was Jewish when he made her queen.) That made me realize that we might not know why God has put us where we are, but He has a plan for all of us. Maybe God has put me on this platform to reach just one person (maybe someone reading this blog right now). If so, then that's time well spent as far as I'm concerned.
The other quote was when Esther was afraid to go in front of the king without being summoned. The king would hold out a scepter to the people that he wanted to talk to. If they showed up uninvited and he didn't hold out the scepter towards them, then they were put to death. Esther was worried that if she showed up and he didn't hold out the scepter, then she would be killed. Finally, she decides to go because her people need her and she says "If I perish, I perish." That just says that we can't put off doing what we need to do just because we are afraid of what will happen if things go wrong.
That's what I got out of this book when I read it last week. -Matt"

No comments: