9.11.2006

Foundations

What if everything we've done up until now has simply been a foundation for what God would have us do tomorrow?

I've come to believe that life is in fact this way.

If you're like me, you are a self-starter and driven in your endeavors. You look at obstacles as merely hurdles set as an opportunity to achieve. Without hurdles the word achievement loses its value and the celebration following achievement seems trite.

As I look back and see the 'milestones' in my own life I recall viewing them as culminations, endings and finish lines. Many obstacles I see in the rearview as things that tested my metal. I sometimes catch myself thinking "I'm glad I won't have to do that again". The reality is that each of these trails were simply part of the foundation that has brought me to where I am today.

What if God in his sovereignty put you through everything you've been through because he needs to prepare you for where you're going? What if things don't work out the way you want them to because God is working out a bigger plan? How willing are you to give up everything in your hands to use your life to glorify God in ways you could not do in your present circumstance? Is it your 'plan' or your 'position' or your 'purpose' or is it all about the mission you've been assigned?

Even in our work for the Lord we can find ourselves unwilling to strive for the best because it may involve change for the leader. As we teach people to suffer change for the name of Christ we rest on our past sufferings as if they were the letterman jacket or a class ring that gave us rights to rise above the common folk. I'm at a place in life where I want above all else God to gain glory and I'm finding that on a regular basis He presents me a new challenge that requires every ounce of my past experience to accomplish.

John 3:30
"He must become greater, I must become less."

No comments: