6.24.2006

Looking Back



Every now and then I look back over the last 10 years and see where I've been. I had just graduated High School and I jumped on a plane and moved to Texas all by myself. At 18 years old I started working for a delivery company and got myself an apartment. That summer I thought I was in love with a girl I had met the previous year on a mission's trip of all things.

Well, I had an apartment and a job and a girl. My girlfriends father co-signed for me to get a car and that began my "adult life". The relationship fizzled and by the fall semester I found myself back home trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life.

I've always had this internal feeling that I was created for a great purpose. It's hard to decribe but I haven't approached many things in life thinking that in the end I somehow won't succeed. Wherever I was I always took the outlook that I can be better and I will acheive more.

Since I went to college I've always thought about my hometown. The violence, drugs, poverty and crime. I've thought that I wish it would be different. Today I started looking at some statistics about the city and found some that were positive and others that made me question if the place would make it another decade.

Anyway... I figured I'd share with you where I went to church. I google-mapped my home church from Baltimore and if you check it out it will give you a good idea of how "inner" we were in the city. I'll always have fond memories of my home church. My first Pastor passed away a year ago or so and some people have moved on or also gone to Heaven. I pray for my old church that it becomes diverse enough to reach the community in which it rests. I don't know what God has in store for Baltimore but I pray it's grand. Our cities need the Gospel.

It's great to find the part of the map where the 'yellow' is headed but so often the smartest and strongest church planters abandon where the yellow has been for years.

No comments: