4.10.2006

Easter Egg Hunt

(cake table for the cakewalk. I was surprised at how much people liked this game)

(We had games, food, music, the K-9 unit, etc. Here is a young lady at the crafts table.)


(we had 3 moon-bounces out... they were a big hit)


(some of the families watching the K-9 attack dogs from the local Police Department)


(looks like it hurt)

First off... Thanks to those of you who prayed for me/us last week. God completly came through this weekend in a big way.

I have to admit... last week the stress of this weekend's activities was getting to me. The weather report all week was HORRIBLE for our event. God really taught me some more lessons through it all. It was one of those times where you sit back as everything is going on and say "wow"....

As I said the weather reports were terrible for this Saturday. We had invested a nice chunk of change on the advertising and organization of this event. This was one of the highlights in our spring push. Well, on Saturday morning from 6 a.m. on I checked the weather from my laptop on weather.com. All morning the local and national forecasters were calling for THUNDERSTORMS during the 2 hours our event was to take place. It was supposed to rain from 10 a.m. thru the rest of the day.

I have to tell ya... I started to write off the day. I thought to myself "No one will bring a kid out for an Easter Egg Hunt when there is a drizzle, let alone a thunderstorm. I began calling my lay-leadership. TO A PERSON they all said "No, Tally... let's move on with it... even if we have to pick it all back up.. ohh well."

I was worried that I would push our people too hard about this event and cause some to think I was stubborn about doing it in face of a thunderstorm. I couldn't have been more wrong. Our people had worked hard and planned for a few months... they weren't going to be held off by a little rain.

Well... we get out to the field and begin setup. Aside from some gusts of wind... setup was done in great weather conditions. As things began to take shape and everything was coming together, we could see that God was up to something.

By 12:45 p.m. the weather was calm and the lines for registration began to form. From 1-3pm we had a fantastic activity. I'll post some thoughts on the event itself in another post.

Here was the cool part. We closed everything down at 3pm and were mostly packed up by 3:15pm. I promise you... the clouds gave up the rain at 3:17 p.m. We just looked at each other in amazement. Now, we live in the shadows of Pat Robertson (a few miles away) and I have laughed at him praying away hurricanes... but honestly we'd have to be spiritual idiots to not thank God for his provision for our event.

God came through in a big way and we saw over 100 kids registered and nearly 300-350 total in attendance (moms, dads, grandmoms and teenagers). This was on a cloudy day with the weathermen threatening impending death if you go outside. I can't imagine how many people we would have had if it was a sunny day in the mid 70's to low 80's.

We had a terrific time and our people did an amazing job! Sunday we had (my count) 21 guests. I'd imagine we'll see an even greater amount next Sunday. Praise God for all he's done and all he'll continue to do in the life of this church plant.

No comments: