2.16.2006

Random Thoughts

Batterson is the man.
Mark Batterson is the founder of (National Community Church/TheaterChurch.com/BuzzConference.com/GodIpod.com/Evotional.com)

I've come to appreciate Mark from afar. Several years ago when I started to consider church planting I believe it was Ben who pointed me Mark's way. Reading his story I saw a determination that I admire.

My life's experience has ALWAYS been of an overcoming nature. Mark's story of NCC really appeals to me. They had next to no one in their first year. They had nothing when they moved to D.C. and yet they kept at it and made it happen in an area that most people claim is near impossible to penetrate.

Mark is someone I could see myself learning a ton from. I tell ya, this guy challenges me big time. He's always innovating something and constantly writing.

Now today he kicked my tail on his blog by talking about his schedule.
It kicks my tail for a few reasons:
1. I too get bored if ministry gets to be 1 dimensional... it's freeing to read that from him.
2. He's focusing on several things which means he's not drowning in details for any one thing
3. He's up by 5:30 a.m. I'm not.
4. He's found his pulse... I don't think I have yet.
5. He's a mad writer. I want to be that.
6. He writes everything like this... it's just plain cool.

Ed Young sent me a free book!

Well, I'm sure he didn't but Victoria from CreativePastors.com did. I'm not sure how I got the honor but I'm very glad that I did. I'm putting this to the top of my reading list and hope to get at it this weekend. Ed Young is another of the guys I admire in ministry for what he brings to the table and how he brings it. I love his brutal honesty and commitment to doing it right. He's a guy who could have sat on his blessed assurance but didn't. He (as his siblings) has gone out and left his own fingerprint on this world on behalf of Christ. I've seen him in several different venues and I appreciate how his team supports him. It says a lot about his leadership to see that kind of loyalty. Anyway, I'm looking forward to jumping into his new book "The Creative Leader"

BY THE WAY:
Both of these guys will be at Buzz



Now if I can just get a room near DC for under $400....hmmmm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of us are staying at the Days Inn off of Dupont circle... its right next to a metro stop... so its a short hop to the conference... and I think we are at around 150 a night.

Mark Batterson said...

Awfully kind words. I read it seven times. Just kidding :)

Actually, I'm feeling guilty about hitting my snooze button at 5:30 AM now :)

Mark

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get there, it's a matter of money for me too. (I'm a college student barely getting by) I just picked up another job in order so that I may be able to go.