1.08.2006

Church is spelled D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y

My life's "one thing" in Christ is diversity.

Today we discussed Romans 10:12-15

12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

We all know that Paul's charge that Jews and Gentiles are equal before God was a shock to the system but many times we ignore this concept in our own context. Every church has a target (intentional or unintentional) Every church has a vibe (again, intentional or not)... Our focus will be diversity. A church that focuses (hence our name) on the red dot in the center of the dart-board and not much else outside of that dot. Differences outside of Christ being our Lord and Savior will be embraced in love. People (and their differences) are not be 'tolerated' at Focal Point they are loved.

I grew up in the inner-city of Baltimore, MD. I'm the first to graduate High School, College and now graduate school. I've stood in government cheese lines and I've been in line for black-tie dinners. I know drug dealers and VP's of major companies. I've always felt that God pulled me from the depths of the city for a reason... I believe I'm coming to understand this in a more personal way. Over 2006 I'm sure to reveal what this means for me and our church. You'll be the 100th to know :)

So I want to give you a quote from today's message. The major road near our new location is called "Military Highway" and it's the dividing line between the haves and have-nots... betweeen the caucasion and the african-american... between our version of Jews and Gentiles.

Those who do worship each week worship with people nearly identical to themselves. But after church they will then hang out [in our globalized world] with their friends of all races, socio-economic status' and professions. If we do what God has called us to do, Focal Point will become a church known for diversity.

As Pastors we have to be who we are and reach who we can reach. To me this concept isn't some idealistic dream... It's a product of my own life. My entire life is a salad bowl of experience and passion for people. I like Paul don't care to see a "Jew" and "Gentile" worship center... I also don't want to see a "White" and "Black" body of Christ. Talk about demographic... we will intentionally be diverse. The funny thing is that we already are diverse. We've just never focused on it before. It's an overflow of who I am. Imagine if I actually embrace it and run with it... We have all shapes, sizes and colors. Our band black, white and interracial and many in our church are from various backgrounds... We have some over 60, some white, black, asian, etc. This is who we are...this is our distinctive in our city... God's just recently smacked me on the head so I could see it. What a year this will be!

Okay, the quote of the day:
"As we move forward, this church will look more like heaven and less like your mirror."


No comments: