11.25.2005

Loose lips sink ships

I've been in situations before where people were ticked off at decisions I've made without their knowledge.

First I have to point out that I don't have to get approval to make decisions, that's why I'm paid the big bucks (sarcasm). But honestly, as Pastors we have to remind the congregation that there are just some decisions that don't have to involve everyone.

Here's where it gets fun.

Some times you have knowledge that others don't need to know.

Ever had to make a decision with knowledge you gained in confidence? Those are the worst. You can't satisfy everyone in that case. You remove someone from leadership or someone quits coming to the church and you know the reason hinges on something that is private information... A nice person in your congregation wants to know 'What happened' and you can't get into it.

I'm not sure how you handle it. I just look at the people and say "I have to make some decisions on confidential information. I need you to trust me on this one."

This is why your moral authority is HUGE. You have to keep your integrity intact. Value your integrity and moral authority. At times these will be all you have. You can't explain away every decision. Many times you will have to lead without giving away information.

1 comment:

Mitch Corn said...

You are totally right! I've been reading "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A' Kempis and one thing I keep noticing is that the imitation of Christ is as much asbout what we don't do as it is what we do. Our moral reality is as much what we don't say as it is what we do say.