10.12.2005

Shouts to Friends: Old and New --- more random thoughts from 10-11-05

Friends I bumped into today:
Jason Williams- East Coast Church (Suffolk, VA-- car pooling friend)
Vince Antonucci- Forefront Church (Virginia Beach,VA)
Stuart Hodges- Waters Edge Church (Yorktown, VA)

New Friends:
I met in person Kevin Green and Allen Hurley from The Living Room (what a cool church name!) Jason and I sat down and started small talk with this couple (Allen and his wife). We ended up asking the basic "where are you from?" questions. I'm sure I shocked them when they said "The Living Room" and I dropped my chin. I didn't mean to lose my manners but I was delighted to meet them. I've admired them from afar over the last few years. They've quietly grown from 0 to 800 in 2 years and have remained unique in applying what they've learned from other churches to make it their own. The other thing that I love about them is their commitment to excellence in the communication of their vision. If you visit their site you'll see what I mean. Allen has done a fantastic job in growing their multi-media department. Kevin and his wife have cast a great vision.

Kevin Green, the Senior Pastor of The Living Room...(whom I later met personally) is the real deal.

Background Story:
In my first ministry we grew a plant from nothing to over 300 in year 1. I know what a "God Thing" feels like in the way of growth. When you can't explain what you "do" to get the growth... because God is doing everything!

Anyway, at that time I met a Pastor across town--who is now gaining national attention for church growth-- I don't have a favorable view of him because the first time I met him he basically brushed me off and said "You should come to a conference I'm giving" and effectively handed me a flyer. He then looked past me (obviously disinterested and rude) and moved on.

That disappointed me. Today Kevin and his team at the Living room impressed me very much. They were top notch in their sincerity and willingness to get to know me. They came across very down-to-earth and all about the Kingdom. Kevin even invited me to meet up with him next week as his team will be in our area for a conference. I'm going to take him up on that. I'm also going to get a Sunday away here in the next month or so and visit The Living Room.

Go visit their site. They're great people and they know what they're doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Kevin Green and Allen Hurley are the real deal. I encourage you to come out to our church some time soon! Many people there truly do have a heart for Jesus and a vision to improve not only the church but also the whole community. Hope you decide to visit!

-- Garrett Carter