10.21.2005

The Mistakes I've Made

Audio A has a song called 'Ocean Floor' that talks about forgiveness of sin. The beginning of the song says 'The Mistakes I've made'... That was going through my mind as I considered our first 18 months. I'm not as cool as Bob Franquiz (nor as patient) to do one a day for 30+ days so I'll just toss them as I recall them. Future church planters grab a notepad.

1. Raised more dinero before going public- Looking back, I would recommend that you not start unless you have some cash on hand. We had none and built up and everything we had came from tithes from our original core. Although that looks great considering church statistics... it felt like garbage. I wouldn't do it again. (I'm not saying not to start... I'm saying build up some cash before going public.) I've talked to some planters who've done this in some interesting ways.

2. I would have made it more difficult to start with us- We had people walk out after a few months. Because we didn't have the extra cash it hurt more than I'd admit. I've never curtailed to complainers but I can say it bugged me a little more than if we were secure. I would have made it more difficult for people to buy-in: if I did it again. Most people in the beginning who say they have your back, won't.

3. Built to critical mass- We didn't focus on a critical mass... we're still not quite there. Looking back I would want to put everything in getting our attendance up before turning to programs or other stuff.

4. Pushed the envelope with facility- We negotiated a very good price for our original space (a roller skating rink) but I should have pushed for better. Again, until we have critical mass we should have spent every penny possible on it.

5. Gone without an office- We took an office this July. Way too early! We have a beautiful space now but I want out. I'm actually currently working to get out of the space. It's terrific but again, where are our financial priorities? I've talked to far too many church planters who've made it much larger than us who didn't have office space. The Pastor at Forefront Church here in Virginia Beach told me the other day that for their first year or two they used another church. They used a small room tucked behind their baptistery. It was a little room with a telephone line and that was it. The rest of the time they met in coffee shops and living rooms. This church was running almost 700 at the time! We could save $12,000 a year (approximately) if we took a route like that. I'm looking at what 12k could do for outreach. In my first plant (as a YP) we went without offices and we were 320 at our 1 year anniversary although it's less expensive there than here...

6. Gone with my gut- Lately some of these things and some other stuff I've dealt with not on this list came by listening to others even when I had a gut feeling. The people who give you advice are doing the best they can. Even when you have great friends who want to see you succeed, they may nudge you to the best case scenario. It's still your fault if you go with it... but it's also your fault if you go against your gut. At least for me I'm finding that my gut (and brain) are pretty good. I need to trust them more.

I'm sure there are other mistakes and miscues... these are some that come to mind. At some point I'll post some things we've done well to get us to stability.

3 comments:

Gary Lamb said...

Good Stuff.

praynlady said...

Tally, again, I am not a church plant but I can see from what you write that you are exactly where God wants you to be and that He led you there by grace. I think that God has and will do great things through you and that the things you may call mistakes, are really learning tools. It is great the way you share your tools with others.

Phillip Santillan said...

lol...I'm not the lead pastor of a church plant, but I work on staff as the first assistant pastor and I can TOTALLY see the validity of your points. I'm bookmarking this page! Thanks for sharing.